[TriLUG] Home server recommendations

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Fri Feb 7 11:09:05 EST 2014

Are you looking for the whole package, CPU and memory and case?

New, it’d be impossible to get. Used, maybe. Do you care about power consumption?

You could get an Atom system — I have one that runs Plex just fine, though I don’t think it could handle transcoding 720p content. Low-power and cheap. Probably $130 a couple years ago without hard drives, though the case I got could only fit two x 3.5”.

Getting an Atom system that supports ECC is going to be harder. The only one I’ve found is Avoton-based and $350+.

http://www.amazon.com/A1SAi-2750F-Desktop-Motherboard-Chipset-BGA-1283/dp/B00F0YROSC

—bak