[TriLUG] VirtualBox Problems

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 08:41:52 EST 2014

> I've heard Virtualbox is easier to install and use than KVM. Is that
> not true anymore?

I use VBox on Windows platforms all the time to run Virtual Linux servers. I have had no problems what so ever with resources or performance and I have been running servers for years this way. The ease is unbeatable. I cannot compare KVM to much, because I have only played around with it, but the free version of VMWare is quite amazing. Despite that you do not have the full interface, with a little investigation, there is alot of things that you can do from the command line to make up for the interface deficiency. Having said that if you plan on doing anything serious with VMWare, just buy it, the cost is not too bad. We have hundreds of servers running on VMWare with highly available and geographically separated configurations. I do not manage the VMWare system, but it is amazing.

John Vaughters