[TriLUG] Name server

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Sat Feb 22 18:13:59 EST 2014

TriLUG,

The other day I had an idea to create a name server that would be optimized for home LAN environments. Basically, it would keep track of the top 1000 most popular domains you resolve and a background thread would refresh them in the cache before they expire, ensuring that most of the time a DNS request to this server does not result in a cache miss. I think the implementation would be pretty straightforward so tomorrow I am going to give this a try. My question is whether I should implement a stub resolver or a full recurser? Is there any advantage to having a recurring name server on your LAN as long as the responses are cached?

Thanks,
Igor