[TriLUG] Name server

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Sat Feb 22 22:43:41 EST 2014

I'm with Matt P on this one. You're not really going to gain much. That
said, gathering the statistics might make for interesting research.

BIND allows you to dump the contents of the cache:

or if using the PowerDNS recursor:
rec_control dump-cache <output_file>

>From there you could noodle around what's common in the cache and
perhaps keep it there.

You may also be able to leverage PowerDNS' Lua scripting (postresolve
hook?) to keep track of these stats in realtime.

Good luck!

-- Kevin