[TriLUG] Name server

Phil Smith mazphil57 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 23 21:30:51 EST 2014

The 'unbound' project seems to meet the OP's requirements: "Unbound (unbound.net) is a validating, recursive, and caching DNS resolver", and with regards to BIND: "FreeBSD announced that Unbound and LNDS will replace BIND as the system's DNS resolver".

I was getting annoyed with Century Link's nameserver taking 10 seconds to resolve 'raleigh.craigslist.org' but rather than setting up unbound, a quick workaround was to put a different ISP's nameserver first in /etc/resolv.conf.  If anyone tries unbound, I'd like to hear if it seems to speed things up.

Phil