[TriLUG] OT: Time Warner Biz Class Mayhem

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Tue Feb 25 09:23:26 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM, Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote at att.net> wrote:
> Starting up with their service has not been as trouble free as I'd
> hoped, but I will focus on a problem that affects the Ubee
> modem-firewall-router that they installed.
>
> In the three weeks or so it has been running, it has somehow changed its
> own settings on two occasions.

I feel your pain. I had a similar experience with the TWCBC Ubee
modem. Our internet connection would stop working for several minutes
and sometimes it would be out until someone came in and power cycled
the modem. At one point the Ubee lost it's config and reset to
defaults - requiring tech support to remotely re-configure the modem.

Tech support kept blaming our equipment and repeatedly asked me to
reset our router behind the modem. So I wrote a simple ping monitoring
script and discovered that these outages would occur every one or two
days. At that point we got a tech on-site to do some tests, and we
asked him to replace our modem with a Motorola SB6580. And guess what
- No more outages !!

Ditch the Ubee and get a Motorola.

Bill