[TriLUG] OT: cat5 tester good for finding intermittents?

Brian lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Tue Feb 25 09:30:05 EST 2014

Hi gang,

Can anyone make a recommendation for a cat5/RJ45 cable tester especially
suited for detecting intermittent connections?  I have an IDEAL tester
which is great for verifying proper wiring, but it only re-scans the
wire every couple of seconds; not nearly fast enough to show, for
example, a connection that goes bad when wiggled a certain way.

I have an audio cable tester that has a latching intermittent detection
feature...  basically hook up the wire, wiggle it around, and if any pin
goes dead even for a split second, a red light comes on and stays on
until I reset it.  That's what I'm looking for, but for network cables.

Thanks!
~Brian