[TriLUG] Ford Drops Windows for their Sync System

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Feb 26 11:37:29 EST 2014

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 01:24:53 -0500
Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/24/2014 03:29 PM, William Sutton wrote:
> > Netscape -- polluted their own codebase so badly that they opened
> > it up to open source developers to clean up the mess.  they
> > scrapped it and made Mozilla, now Firefox, which has itself become
> > a bloated mess. WordPerfect -- quality product that Novell bears
> > some additional responsibility for killing
> >
> > I'll also toss Borland out there.  People I know who used Borland's
> > compilers tell me they were superior to Microsoft... but Borland's
> > long been out of that business.
>
> Wasn't Borland a bit pricey back when?? Ric

No, the pricey part came later. Back in the 1980's Borland compilers
were between $29 and $69. In the mid 1990's, which is the time this
discussion pertains to, Borland compilers were, IIRC, around a hundred
bucks, and in every case less than their Microsoft counterpart.

Borland as a big bux wannabe big iron glass house fetish came after
Microsoft had demolished the Borland business model with (innovation |
antitrust).

By the way, if you're at all interested in Borland, check out
FreePascal and Lazarus. Both free software, both should be available
with your package manager. FreePascal is pretty much a Borland Pascal
workalike, and Lazarus is pretty much a Delphi workalike.

If you want to whip out a quick graphical database app that doesn't
depend on a browser, and you don't want to dink around with Qt, Gtk, or
PythonTk, Lazarus is an excellent, rapid development, drag and drop
alternative.

SteveT