[TriLUG] March TA3M in Durham: The Internet Society and an Open Internet

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Wed Feb 26 12:44:39 EST 2014

You're invited to the March Techno-Activism Third Mondays (TA3M) in Durham!
TA3M is an informal meetup designed to connect software creators and activists
who are interested in censorship, surveillance, and open technology. The event
takes place in different cities around the globe every third Monday of the
month.

WHAT: TA3M in Durham [1,2]
WHEN: Monday March 17th from 7pm 'till 9pm
WHERE: SplatSpace [3]
TOPIC: The Internet Society and an Open Internet

This month's presentation is on The Internet Society (ISOC) [4,5], an
organization founded by Vint Cerf with the mission to "to promote the open
development, evolution and use of the Internet for the benefit of all people
throughout the world." We will be discussing what this means practically, and
what kinds of activities the Internet Society is involved in. There will be
a discussion of ISOC activism in the areas of internet security, net neutrality
and other social/political current issues. We will end with a discussion of how
to get involved in the political side of fighting for a free and open internet.

Our presenter is Lynden Price, who has been a member of the Internet Society
for 3 years, and has been involved in internet activism for over 10 years.

This is meant to be an open forum, where anyone is free to share. Got
a lightning talk?  We'd love to hear it! Or, just come join in the discussion.

[1] https://wiki.openitp.org/events:techno-activism_3rd_mondays
[2] https://wiki.openitp.org/events:techno-activism_3rd_mondays:durham
[3] http://splatspace.org/location/
[4] http://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are