[TriLUG] Debian Sid/Unstable

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 22:43:33 EST 2014

On 02/26/2014 07:36 PM, Phil Smith wrote:
> I used Debian "Unstable" for about 5 years and then switched to
> Gentoo (a non-binary distro., built from source code), which allows
> me to have the latest of my important apps (by unmasking them)
> without the latest of everything else.  The breaking point for me
> with Sid was installing a package like mplayer-nox (does not require
> X-Windows, uses SDL/Directfb), then try to run it before starting X
> and have it complain about missing X libraries, etc..  I filed a bug
> report and was told my unusual desire to have a non-X mplayer was my
> problem.  I was actually building so many packages from source
> (bypassing Debian package maintainers) under Sid that the distro's
> value was questionable.

Ah, the NOX version of VLC supposedly does that. Playback from command
line. Never tried using it from a pure terminal-only install though.
aplay would work wouldn't it? Of course you wouldn't have the Internet
Radio streaming playback and the other goodies, so I see your point. Ric

/https://linuxcounter.net/cert/44256.png /