[TriLUG] OT Ethernet over Powerline

Andrew Stephenson tendonut at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 09:12:56 EST 2014

I recently purchased a set and had less then stellar results. I have a
brand new house (not large, about 1,300sq/ft), so new wiring, and when I
connect both units on the same circuit (using outlet in each of my two
bedrooms on the same floor), easily 200Mbps with maybe 1ms latency.
Awesome. When I connect a unit in the bedroom and another in the living
room downstairs on a different circuit, it drops to 25Mbps and latency
shoots up to 15ms and spikes to 100ms randomly. It appears that when the
signal has to pass through your circuit breaker, performance goes to shit.