[TriLUG] OT Ethernet over Powerline

Stephen Bryant stephen at stephenbryant.net
Mon Mar 3 09:27:03 EST 2014

This is because the US uses a split-phase power system. The signal has to travel to wherever the phases are connected, which is often the nearest step-down transformer. I believe there is a type of powerline ethernet that will work across split-phase, but you can also install a jumper in your breaker box that will allow them to work.

Stephen