[TriLUG] OT Ethernet over Powerline

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 09:59:15 EST 2014

A low-pass-and-high-pass filter between the two phases/sides is a stove,
when it's turned on. I speculate (but have never tried) that the following
test might work: if turning on a stove burner improves your network
performance, then the cause of the poor performance is probably that your
powerline adapters are on opposite sides of the breaker box.

You really can't put a low-pass filter between the two circuits. However, a
high-pass filter between the two phases/sides (in the breaker box, or
anywhere there's easy access to both sides, such as any 220v outlet) would
probably help. It could be nothing more than a single high-voltage
capacitor. There's some relevant discussion here:
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22151
and more here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=(x10+OR+powerline)+"breaker+box"+(capacitor+OR+phase)

Dave