[TriLUG] OT Ethernet over Powerline

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com
Mon Mar 3 10:50:05 EST 2014

One more data point.

The user info that comes with these devices (when decipherable) says
that you may only use them directly connected to the AC outlet - no
surge supressors or UPSes allowed.  Filters squelch the signal.  For
that reason they are the front line troops for any spikes or
over-voltages that arrive through your power line.

I used them for about a year and a half in my home and they worked
well.  We had a stormy summer weekend, and the throughput dropped to
zero.  The lights were still green, but no workie.

I bought a different pair to replace those, and they didn't work
reliably at all.  They randomly went from a few Mbps down to almost
nothing, then recovered for a while.  I finally surrendered and ran 130
feet of cat six through the crawl space, up the side of the house, and
around a curtain wall.  Other than a previously discussed malevolent
squirrel attack, throughput has been peachy ever since.

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote
scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com