[TriLUG] Help me decide

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Mon Mar 3 19:23:40 EST 2014

I am thinking of getting the Acer 720P chromebook.  The one with the touch
screen.

This:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-C720P-Chromebook-11-6-Inch-Touchscreen/dp/B00GSEOV7U

Figure I will use Chrome a bit and use crouton to install wheezy as a
chroot.

My alternatives to that are a more expensive ultrabook or maybe an ideapad
s210 from lenovo or something similar.  Touch screen is not a big deal but
could be useful and well thin and light and good battery is a concern.

I guess the trade off is with the chromebook no windows (that is a plus)
good battery life and with linux in the chroot chromeos will handle the
drivers so in particular the touchscreen should work well even under linux.

The pro of the alternatives is of course perhaps more horsepower and local
storage.  The con is if there is a touch screen linux might not work with
it that well.

What would you do hotshot?

Ken