[TriLUG] TWC "Existing Customer Promotion"

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Wed Mar 12 06:27:56 EDT 2014

I pay $78/month for Time Warner Cable's "Extreme" Internet service: 30 down and
5 up Mbps.

I called yesterday to cancel and was told I could get an "Existing Customer
Promotion" that's the same rate as the new customer promotion. It would last
one year, and could be renewed every year by calling them. The rate would be
$55/month isntead of $78/month.

They have similar promotions for other packages. The rates I was quoted are:

Ultimate @ 50/5 for $65/month
Extreme  @ 30/5 for $55/month
Turbo    @ 20/2 for $45/month
Standard @ 15/1 for $35/month
Basic    @  3/1 for $30/month
Everyday @  2/1 for $15/month

Seems I could have been saving over $200/yr on my Internet service.

<bag of worms opening>
Is TWC not regulated as a utility, and if they are regulated as a utility
shouldn't they be required to charge what a service costs them to provide
versus how much they think they can get?
</bag of worms opening>