[TriLUG] TWC "Existing Customer Promotion"

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com
Thu Mar 13 17:45:50 EDT 2014

On 03/13/2014 02:41 PM, John Vaughters wrote:

> ... Clearly I have struck a cord on this group, but technically Communications has rightly been deregulated for all the reasons mentioned.

There are a number of clues why such a chord has been struck.  Internet
Service Providers including Comcast and TWC consistently rank among the
ten worst corporations in the US for customer service.  In a healthy
marketplace one might expect competition to weed out providers of such
abysmal and unresponsive service, yet these corporations are among the
most profitable outside of the financial sector.

The most visibly responsive behavior that I have seen from these
corporations results from what one might consider to be a rather small
threat: that of local, unserved members of a community joining together
to arrange their own broadband.

Rather than responding to that pent-up demand with an offering of
service, these corporations write legislation that specifically blocks a
municipality from arranging service for itself.  Then they take it to
legislators who received campaign contributions from them, who vote it
into law.  They have therefore imposed regulations that deny service to
those whom they are not interested in serving.

This hardly seems like deregulation.

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote