[TriLUG] Hit me with your best shot

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Sat Mar 15 12:47:37 EDT 2014

I need to compile all these together, but from memory...

1. games is dosbox worked.
2. Quake live in wine did not, but I would wager that is my fault.  There
is a quake web version in the chrome store that works well, so if that is
your bag there you go.
3. Scanning, I do not have a sane compatible scanner so no means to do that
test.  If anyone does we can try it.
4. Printing, see above, actually I do have an old HP around that is cups
compatible, might try that.  There is cloud printing as well.  I personally
cannot remember the last time I printed from a laptop or even had it
directly connected to a physical printer.  Cups will work in crouton
although I hear setup can be a bit wonky.
5. Vector graphics worked, I used inkscape
6. gimp worked as well if it matters
7. scripting and coding also a go, I installed Ninja-IDE as an example as
well as code::blocks.
8. LAMP stack I have not tried yet.  To the suggestor of that can I
substitute NGINX for Apache.  That has been my webserver of choice these
days. Even still LAMP stacks under crouton documented as working.
9. Minecraft was suggested at this weeks Lug meeting.  Havenot tried it,
not wanting to pay to try something I won't use.  Then again my middle
child wants it.  Might get to it.
10. External USB storage looks just fine, got a low profile 3.0 32 gb
hooked to it effectively tripling storage space.  One annoyance is chrome
os likes to pop up the file manager on boot everytime if it is present at
startup.  No big deal.
11. niche usb devices working, only in crouton, example AKAI MPK49 usb midi
controller.

I will go back over see what I am missing or just scold me for it in reply
to this.

Other items:
1.  Octane test score: 9904
2.  touchpad fully sorted
3.  /dev/snd/seq permission issues sorted, had to script the fix to this in
rc.local as there is something a bit off with the way udev is doing things.
 Seems to be a slight fight between chrome os and crouton.
4.  oh and my most important use case - cadence running carla xykeyboard
and/or external usb keyboard.  Did a quick test with hexter running in a
jack dssi host and being processed through rakarrack with realtime stage
worthy latency, barely a blip on the processor or memory.

All things being equal I am very impressed with this solution.  Sure there
are compromises, but isn't there with everything these days.  For my
workflow so far this is suiting me right.  Got another week left in my
return window so more tests are welcome.  These external tests help
eliminate confirmation bias from my evaluation.

Ken