[TriLUG] What does he mean?

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Sat Mar 15 21:59:39 EDT 2014

Hi,

Recently Comcast had a problem. From anywhere within their network
system, you could not access bbc.com/news. My brother emailed me about
it. I am on Uverse plus I have access to Time Warner and a server in
the cloud ( not sure of isp on that one ). I had no problem accessing
bbc.com on Uverse and time warner. Eventually, I ended up on a comcast
forum which had many users complaining about no bbc access.

At one point, Jlivingood, a moderator of the forum, came forward with
this remark:

"This is some kind of TBD routing issue. We are investigating it now.
JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations "

And later -- he wrote, " Appears a connected network was announcing a
bad route, which we are now ignoring until we get to the bottom of
this. Should be resolved right now, but still chasing root cause on
the bad / erroneous announcement."

Soon after this comment, my brother in Florida on comcast, wrote that
bbc was back on comcast.

I would like to understand what Jason Livingood means by "a connected
network was announcing a bad route". I am assuming the TBD means "to
be decided". If there is another meaning for that, please chime in.

--
Jc Jones
Blogs -