[TriLUG] LPIC-1

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com
Mon Mar 24 13:23:53 EDT 2014

On 03/24/2014 10:55 AM, Milton Bryant wrote:
> Hey Scott,
>
> Thanks for the response! I was beginning to wonder if my post even
> made it through. I've looked through the old topic and it looks like
> the LPIC-1 is as you say. This actually makes me feel a little better
> about struggling to get all of the objectives into my head.
>
> I'm no long-standing Linux veteran by any means. I use it
> semi-regularly during my downtime and through shell during work hours,
> to interface with our servers(since about 2010). I'm not actively
> looking for another job, but I figured the knowledge from the
> objectives would help me immensely(and why not get the cert while I'm
> at it?). Maybe even get LPIC-2 sometime down the road to have that
> additional ability accreditation.
>
> I have a ton of resources for learning the LPIC-1 objectives and I
> don't know exactly which one to swear by. On one hand, I have a ton of
> notes and the ability to practice extensively through virtual
> machines. Then I have some free resources for memorization like
> jMemorize and Anki with intelligent flash cards. Are there open online
> study groups for these objectives? I'd likely feel more comfortable
> with my progress if I have others to play ideas off of, and of course
> I can in turn share what I know.
>
> Regards
>
> Milton

Hi Milton,

Regarding the study materials, you can't go far wrong with one of the
official study guides:
http://www.amazon.com/LPIC-1-Linux-Professional-Institute-Certification/dp/1118495632

I used an earlier version of the same book, a Linux computer, and a few
websites as my study materials.

If you get to the point where you know and understand the answers to the
quizzes in each chapter of the book, you will likely pass the test by a
comfortable margin.  Unlike my experience with the Security+ test, there
are almost no "gimmes".  With the Linux+ test they took great care not
to re-use any questions from the study guide on the actual test.  This
may have been due to chance, as from what I recall there are multiple
versions of the test.  You get one selected at random.

If you are very good at remembering, this book may be all that you
need.  One fellow at my company studied it for three weeks and passed
the test.  He is also an experienced Linux user and software developer.
He also mentioned that he made it by a narrow margin.

There are a few websites that can help you prepare, with example
questions and answers.  It is fairly painful to find them though,
because for each useful site there are many dozens if not hundreds of
crap sites, by which I mean pay-for-help sites that look like they were
hastily thrown together by people who barely understand the English
language.  I have seen information on these sites that appeared to be
deliberately incorrect.  There are so many of these shoddy opportunists
offering guaranteed results that I personally wouldn't touch them with
an entangled particle!

Another tip, you might find the Professor Messer LPIC-1 training videos
to be helpful.  You'll find them at http://www.professormesser.com under
the Linux+ Training tab.  These are free, but donations are encouraged.
I think that this part of the site is under construction and only covers
a part of the material.

Good luck,

   Scott C.

--