[TriLUG] systemd presenter wanted

Kevin Hunter Kesling hunteke at earlham.edu
Tue Mar 25 19:55:49 EDT 2014

Hi David,

Thank you for volunteering to talk on systemd.  This is a topic that has
idly interested me for quite awhile; others too, obviously!  Could and
would you be prepared to answer questions about systemd vs other init
systems as well?  Specifically, I understand that systemd supports a
number of features that at least Upstart, OpenRC, and init-style systems
do not[1], but I'd like to know more about the reasons for the monolith
of a design?  For example, I thought I learned "all I needed to know"
when I read the extremely simple code for a pid 1 ... damn, I'm having
trouble tracking down where I read it, but it goes something like this
(pardon any obvious errors; this is from memory):

     int main ( ) {
       int status;

       if ( 1 != getpid() )
         return exit_failure;

       sigprocmask( SIG_BLOCK, ... );
       if ( fork() )
         for (;)
           wait( &status )
       sigprocmask( SIG_UNBLOCK, ... );

       return execve(..."/some/init/executable"...);
     }

The magic of course being between the SIG_BLOCK and SIG_UNBLOCK: if the
parent/pid 1, the sole job is to reap any zombies; otherwise -- and in
the Unix spirit of a tool does one thing well -- the
/some/init/executable takes care of starting any/all helper daemons.

No need to respond to me; this is just a request for at least one aspect
of understanding in regards to the choices made in systemd.

Thanks!

Kevin

[1] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html