[TriLUG] Memory upgrade problems - brainstorming

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Thu Mar 27 09:00:20 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Steve Holton <sph0lt0n at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I purchased four DDR3 PC3-1600 -- 4Gb modules
> *Does "DDR3 PC3-1600" not match "DDR3 PC3-12800" in a way I don't
> understand?*

You are mixing up the "Standard Name" (DDR3-xxxx) with the "Module
Name" (PC3-yyyy).
  PC3-1600 != PC3-12800
  DDR3-1600 == PC3-12800

The DDR3-xxxx specifies the Memory Transfers Per Second.
PC3-yyyy specifies the Peak transfer rate in MB per second.

I had assumed that this was a typo in your original email since there
are no such modules with PC3-1600 designation.

Bill