[TriLUG] Website drive-by shooting

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Fri Apr 11 14:24:56 EDT 2014

Folks,

Here we go again with one of my "interesting" questions.

Since I am the "guru," a friend has asked about an encounter that he has
had more than once lately.

He has visited more than one web site, just looked around, but not
"registered" or "subscribed" for anything.

However, shortly after that visit, he has received either an e-mail
message or a telephone call, saying that they noticed that he had
visited their web site, and could they help him?

Our question is, how?

I can understand how this could happen, if he gave them some
information, but just from a viewing of the site?

Has anybody had any experience with this sort of thing, from either
side?

Thanks,
Brian