[TriLUG] Tools for tracking time / work on Linux platform

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Apr 11 17:33:01 EDT 2014

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:44:01 -0400
Errol Casey <errol at askerrol.org> wrote:

> I have been looking without success to find a tool to use on Linux, to
> track time (work) easily.  Under windows, I've used manictime
> http://www.manictime.com/
>
> It monitors what you do, and allows you to easily mark up your time
> and tag it with a graphical front end.
>
> I've searched and looked at a few tools including RescueTime, that I
> can use via the web.  But it would be nice to have a local tool, so
> it could record activity/inactivity of my work machine as well.  This
> allows me to come back, and highlight and tag specific tasks I did at
> a later time.
>
> Would be interested in hearing what tools, or methods others use in a
> linux environment.

If you want a no-frills, Army Surplus looking CLI app that just works,
as long as you maintain a rule that no time period counts for more than
one project, use tslips at:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/projects/tslips/

Its advantage is that history is in a simple text file that can be
reported on by almost anything, including AWK.

SteveT