[TriLUG] FS: Cisco 48-port switches

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Sat May 3 11:37:30 EDT 2014

I have three Cisco Catalyst 2950 48-port 10/100 switches (C2950G-48-EI).
Asking $20/ea, obo. Can bring to meeting this Thursday (5/8).

So you're asking yourself: Why do I need a noisy[1] old switch with no
gigabit? (Network engineers can stop reading here :)

- VLANs: Make the switch act like multiple separate switches, and you
can have a Linux box with a single NIC on each of these networks. It's a
router... on-a-stiiiick :) You may wonder: How does this voodoo work?
Hmm, maybe that would make a good meeting topic... or at least a
lightning talk.

- SNMP: Make pretty graphs about what each port is doing. Useful to see
if that file server of yours is really putting out the bits you think it is.

And so much more! OK, enough of me trying to be a cheesy salesman. Reply
off-list if interested.

-- Kevin

[1] I plugged one of them in to check it out. Compared to many of the
switches I've dealt with, they're actually fairly quiet. You probably
wouldn't want it in your living room though.