[TriLUG] Semi-OT: Detecting HTTPS inspection? Does that compromise SSH?

Brian lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Mon Jun 2 16:08:37 EDT 2014

Hi!

So I've recently heard our IT group say they're using HTTPS packet
inspection (!).  So a question that immediately comes to my
less-than-expert mind is, "are they compromising my SSH traffic?"

Reading that I've done so far suggests that HTTPS inspection is achieved
via a MITM attack; doing so without detection involves various
manoeuvres involving CAs and such.  So my browser could be quietly
accepting the MITM-ed HTTPS sessions if IT has already told it to accept
the different cert.

Seems like a MITM attack could also be used with an SSH session, but I
don't know enough about it to feel certain.  What I've done so far is
verify that my client does see the correct RSA fingerprint of the
intended server.  Is that enough for me to feel confident in the
security of my SSH tunneled traffic from our IT department's prying eyes?

Thanks,
~B