[TriLUG] TrueCrypt

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Jun 2 18:05:25 EDT 2014

I am surprised that no one on this list is talking about
TrueCrypt shutting down last week.  There has been a lot
of speculation about why, and lots of pretty cool discussion
about "canary letters" and such.  Real tinfoil hat stuff!

I am interested in a viable TrueCrypt replacement that is:
  - cross platform, at least for OSX and Linux
  - can store its data in a FILE as well as a partition
  - has a decent user interface (GUI and or CLI)
  - is open source, so we know it can be audited

In fact, if someone were to resurrect the old TrueCrypt
code, keeping the bits that manage mounting and mapping
drives and devices, keeping the basic UI, but replacing
the encryption parts, I think they'd have a winner.  Part
of me even sees that as a possible business plan.

Alan