[TriLUG] TrueCrypt

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Jun 2 18:18:45 EDT 2014

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014, Alan Porter wrote:

> I am surprised that no one on this list is talking about TrueCrypt shutting
> down last week.

Everyone else is doing a good job and we're sitting on the sidelines till
someone who really knows what's going on steps forward. Bruce Schneier doesn't
know what's going on.

> In fact, if someone were to resurrect the old TrueCrypt code, keeping the bits
> that manage mounting and mapping drives and devices, keeping the basic UI, but
> replacing the encryption parts,

Well I'll bight.

Isn't replacing the encryption parts an enormous problem? There's supposed to be
a bug list that no human would every get through. As well people are a bit
rattled about NSA having put back doors into encryption protocols.

The code is also supposed to be a terrible mess, not because the authors didn't
know what they were doing, but because they didn't have time to fix it. It
sounds like it was two guys in a basement doing it for the love of it in their
spare time. The code hasn't been updated in years.

Joe

> I think they'd have a winner.  Part of me even sees that as a possible
> business plan.

Joe