[TriLUG] Looking for small linux webserver

John Wheeler jwheeler at etherealfringe.com
Sat Jun 7 14:48:00 EDT 2014

I made the mistake once of implanting Cherokee instead if nginx. We reworked all of the automation and went back to nginx.

Issues with Cherokee:

1) not battle proven - claims that it stacks against other front runners are not backed by any data I could find last time I went looking.

2) Niceties of GUI configurability nullified by the fact that GUI configuration felt buggy, but most importantly: the config file format is one of the least intuitive that I have ever seen. I would rather write apache configs, if that tells you anything.

3) docs are thin. :(

All of these are strong points for Nginx, especially docs - which ends up meaning the world in practice.

John