[TriLUG] FCC may step in to pre-empt TWC like legislation

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com
Fri Jun 13 20:49:38 EDT 2014

On 06/13/2014 08:05 PM, Alan Porter wrote:
>> perhaps TriLUG could draft a
>> letter to Representative Price
> Members could, but TriLUG could not, since that would be against the LUG's articles of incorporation, and since political action could jeopardize our 501(c)3 application.
>
> - alan

If I recall the lessons learned from Steven Colbert and Jon Stewart
correctly, TriLUG just needs to spin off a PAC.  Declare that it is
"completely independent",  and then bask in the complete freedom to
raise vast contributions, spend freely on "public education campaigns",
and never, uh-uh, no sir, not us, not ever advise or direct the PAC on
where to focus its political campaign swaying power.
There are web sites with easy step by step instructions for creating the
InfluenceFreeFCC SuperPAC, it looks like it could be done by a
lay-person in a couple of evenings.

Before anyone pipes up and volunteers me for spearheading this noble
accomplishment, recall that Colbert (as chairperson) claimed to be able
to redirect a substantial portion of the PAC contributions into a very
generous salary for himself (also claimed to be completely legal).

I have to admit I'm completely unprepared to handle that level of
temptation...   ;-)

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote