[TriLUG] Regexp Help

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Tue Aug 12 17:21:57 EDT 2014

Assuming you have a file named "bar", which you could easily change in the
following Perl, it should do the trick for you.  It requires no special
libraries and is thoroughly overdocumented so everyone can understand what
I just did.  I've done this particular trick so many times, it's second
nature.  Code follows:

#---

# read in the file
open(my $fh, "bar");
my $f;
while (<$fh>)
{
     $f .= $_;
}
close($fh);

# regex match the date/time stamp; we need this twice, so define it once
my $dt_re = '([a-z]{3}\s+[a-z]{3}\s+\d+\s+\d+(?::\d{2}){2}\s+\d{4})';

# dirty trick; replace the matched date/time stamp with a known nonprintable
# character (\x01, or hex 01; anything unique would do), followed by the same
# date/time stamp we found before; this marks the beginning of the record
$f =~ s/$dt_re/\x01$1/gi;

# now the nasty magic; see per-line notes, with numeric ordering so you can
# follow what is happening
# 9. and then print the result
print

   # 7. re-join the saved blocks on a newline (results in a single block of text)
   join(
     "\n",

     # 3. process the blocks from step 2 by
     map {

         # 6. then re-join the matching block lines on a newline so that it
         #    is one text block again
         join(
             "\n",

             # 5. then grep for only lines with the date/time stamp (the
             #    other place we use the ugly regex) or ORA- lines
             grep { m/$dt_re|ORA-/i }

               # 4. splitting them on a newline (now we have individual lines
               #    instead of blocks)
               split(/\n/, $_)
             )
       }

       # 2. then, grep out only those blocks that contain ORA- lines; any
       #    other text blocks fall out at this point
       grep { m/ORA-/ }

       # 1. split the modified file text on our arbitrary \x01; this creates
       #    blocks of text that start with a date/time stamp
       split(/\x01/, $f)
   )

   # 8. then tack on a newline at the end for formatting purposes
   . "\n";

#---

William Sutton