[TriLUG] WiFi quality monitoring

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Thu Aug 14 13:08:08 EDT 2014

One thing I seldom remember when first troubleshooting wireless performance
problems is that I have many devices of my own using WiFi. My Wii uses it for
updates, Dish Network uses it for various updates and downloads. We have two
smart phones and I have a Kindle Fire HDX that performs non-scheduled updates
for various programs as well as content downloads.

So consider the those and other devices you have such as wireless thermostats,
refrigerators, etc., and then consider that one of your neighbors with some
technical chops may be using your bandwidth.

Also notice the time of day this happens because after school and early
evenings, the neighborhood kids will be downloading lots of stuff and taking up
cable bandwidth.

However the problem could actually be your WiFi router, as you think. I have had
mine for a couple years and it has worked fine. However I am now seeing random
loss of connectivity that requires a wireless router reboot. Although I do have
all of my hardware on heavy-duty UPS devices, problems like this may be due to
power issues and may be a precursor to needing to replace a UPS battery. I have
found that both my own TP-link wireless router and the TWBC Ubee cable router
tend to be sensitive to power issues and won't restore connections even though
the power to the devices was allegedly never interrupted.

As suggested below, you should definitely try a wired connection for a while and
see if that helps.