[TriLUG] WiFi quality monitoring

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Aug 14 13:25:15 EDT 2014

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014, Igor Partola wrote:

> - Intermittent but high packet loss over Wi-Fi. This can last anywhere
> from 2 to 60 seconds where 5-75% of the packets are lost.

I had similar problems with a wifi installation I did in a business once.
Sometimes everything would be fine and sometimes I couldn't connect from right
next to the wifi box. Use of a wifi sniffer (forget what it is - it was a
regular wifi usb dongle with windows software set up to run a spectrum of the g
band) showed nothing.

The rf front ends of wifi routers have no filtering on them. They are designed
to be cheap. They're easily overloaded by out of band signals. The cure is a
wifi box with a different rf front end. I was lucky enough to find that the
first different brand worked fine. After that I found that the original box
worked fine if I used a paper clip instead of the antenna(s). Of course range
was only a couple of feet and the original box couldn't be used that way, but at
least it showed that the problem was due to rf.

Can you try a bunch of different wifi boxes?

Joe