[TriLUG] WiFi quality monitoring

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Aug 14 19:08:39 EDT 2014

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014, Igor Partola wrote:

> Thanks, very informative. I've put the old antennas back on. Have not yet
> turned down transmit power (the house is large, upstairs gets poor
> reception; I will eventually put a separate AP up there). So far so good,
> the iperf tests have gotten slightly faster and I don't see intermittent
> ping issues (where ping time goes up to 200-300ms randomly). The slowdowns
> and packet loss are more sporadic, so I'll have to see how it it during the
> day tomorrow.

I hope this is it. However I don't have an explanation for it :-) John will have
to tell us.

Can you go back to the setup as it was in the old place (antennas, power...) and
see if that still works in the new place?

> I measured signal strength and did an iperf test right next to the router,
> and then outside where an outside wall was between the laptop and the
> router. Here are the stats:
>
> Inside:
>
> - RSSI: -55 dBm
> - Noise: -91 dBm
> - Quality: ~ 40
> - iperf ~ 85 Mbps
>
> Outside:
>
> - RSSI: -60 dBm
> - Noise: -91 dBm
> - Quality: ~ 33
> - iperf ~ 75 Mbps

your wood is as tranparent as air :-) I would have expected a bit of water and
mass in the wood would have dropped more than that.

> My guess is that there is no metal in the walls aside from wires and screws.

yup

Joe