[TriLUG] Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Aug 16 12:38:00 EDT 2014

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 09:52:29 -0400
Dwain Sims <dsims at bayleafnc.org> wrote:

> As requested, the really good Bash Scripting Book I found on-line:
>
> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
>
> The book is by Mendel Cooper.  It well written, and has tons of
> examples (which I need desperately!).
>
> Good Luck
>
> Dwain

Excellent resource. Thanks!

I have one technique not in the book. Two shellscripts. Script B
continuously manages a process (for instance, managing a playlist and
playing the associated songs). Script A is the user interface. When the
user requests something in Script A, script A writes a file containing a
command for Script B, and then uses kill -s SIGUSR1 to signal Script B
to look for a command file.

It's crude, but when you're in a situation where things need to happen
asynchronously, it's an easy way to do it.

SteveT