[TriLUG] WiFi quality monitoring

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Tue Aug 26 10:36:54 EDT 2014

So a quick update. I took my secondary router (Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2) out
for a couple of field trips. This router did better at these away locations
than at the house, but not overwhelmingly so. The ping times still
periodically jumped but were not as bad: round-trip min/avg/max/stddev =
1.032/11.079/101.937/18.223 ms, with a 1.0% packet loss.

I also set up airdump-ng on a Linux box I have with the 9dBi antennas and
looked for any hidden SSID's in the area. Nothing was found there, at least
in the 2.4 GHz range (this box does not have a 5 GHz card).

Other possible interference sources I thought of since the last message on
this list:

 - an ADT security system with a wireless base station.
 - Roku 2 & Roku 3 players that use Wi-Fi remotes (though the remotes are
not in any use while I run my ping and bandwidth tests).
 - Some type of power issue, though all the equipment is plugged into surge
protectors.

What other options would you explore? Would getting completely different
equipment (I was looking at Ubiquiti's UniFi AP's) be of any use?

Thanks again,
Igor