[TriLUG] linode, VPN, SSH

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Thu Aug 28 11:00:36 EDT 2014

OpenVPN can be run without any encryption. It will bark at you, but it
will run.

For my IPv6 lab I just use the static key mode. Unlike TLS, if that key
is ever compromised, all previous traffic could be decrypted. I mostly
use it as an authentication layer (yes, this is my lab) and the weaker
encryption is just a side bonus.

I think the screwier part of this whole scenario is the requirement of a
static endpoint address for a piece of software that was *designed* for
roaming access. Sounds like someone got their SHOULD and MUST (RFC
terms) conflated.

-- Kevin