[TriLUG] FreeRDP and TS Gateway

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Thu Aug 28 15:56:05 EDT 2014

OK I finally figured out how to do this with our server config.  Figured I
would put the solution out there.

1.  do a git clone of the latest master/stable of freerdp and compile
2.  using the winpr-hash utility delivered with freerdp create a hash for
your username.  Our setup demands a user at domain entry for user as opposed
to using the separate domain flag so your username must be in the @ form so
save to /etc/winpr/SAM a line as such username at domain.com:
::winpr-hashoutput:::
winpr-hasourput is the output from winpr-hash
3.  using xfreerdp the command line needs to be just right.  First of all
sec must be specified for rdp for our setup (which is odd as from what I
first found it should be tls) also the gateway domain must be incorporated
in the gateway userflag, matching the user in the SAM file.  So as such a
sanitized example

xfreerdp /f /rfx /sec:rdp /g:ra.gatewayserver.edu /gu:user at gatewaydomain.com
/v:rdp.server.com /u:rdpusername /d:rdpdomain /p:

I turned on rfx in the command line as I found it improved overall
performance and feel. Without /rfx it was more prone to crash.

Hope his helps anyone who might have to deal with this. Granted this is
specific to what I had to do to get this to work with my works
configuration. I need to implement this on my home workstation but I have
tested with success today on my chromebook inside a debian wheezy chroot
instance with the version of freerdp I cloned today (1.2 I believe).

Ken