[TriLUG] Linux Routing - why isn't it working?

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 14:30:18 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Aaron Joyner <aaron at joyner.ws> wrote:

> Does 98.241 have a default gateway (or a route for .99.0/24) pointing back
> to 192.168.98.10?
>
> Sounds like by putting the route in place on the linux box you got past the
> pix, now you can ping eth1's IP, and you can probably deliver packets to
> the 192.168.98.0/24 network, but hosts on that network don't know how to
> route back to 192.168.99.0/24.
>
> <snip>

Yes, and for giggles I did the tcpdump and it showed the packets arriving
on eth0 of the ubuntu box whether they went through the PIX or via a route
directly to the box.

I think you hit on the key with the default gateway for the devices on the
.98.0 network. All the devices on that network (other than the ubuntu box)
are IP cameras and I don't think they were configured with a gw. I need to
check that. I only wanted them to communicate with the Ubuntu box (it is
running Zoneminder).

I bet that is it. The packet can't go anywhere from the .98.241 device
because of no gw. See it was something dumb after all.

It's only now that I need to troubleshoot something that I thought about
using the ubuntu box as a router so I could look at those devices from the
main network.

DOH!!!

I'll put a box on the .98 network and see if I can access them that way as
a test.