[TriLUG] Linux email server appliance

Dewey Hylton plug at hyltown.com
Tue Sep 23 21:02:13 EDT 2014

I'm unsure of your definition of "a lot of overhead" but if you can afford a few gigabytes of ram (4 would be great) then I think zimbra would be a fantastic solution. I've been using it for years inside either virtual box (hosted on Solaris and freebsd) and now kvm (via smartos). I'm currently providing it with 4GB of RAM but have used as little as 2GB.  I host 11 email domains and a couple of dozen users. I believe Zimbra meets your requirement for a turnkey solution as it provides webmail, spam and virus protection, personal and shared calendars and contacts and tasks, document storage and more. Pair it with Zpush and you can connect to it with mobile devices using their support for exchange.