[TriLUG] Fwd: [ NNSquad ] Bug in Bash shell creates big security hole on anything with *nix in it

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 10:27:24 EDT 2014

Steve,

Thanks for the notice. I had the issue on all RH6.x boxes and RH7. Easy fix for those not looking to do their scheduled updates yet may want to just run the 'yum update bash' command, or the proper update comand for your linux type. I have heard that RedHat and Ubuntu have issued fixes.

Thanks,

John Vaughters

On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:37 PM, Steve Holton <sph0lt0n at gmail.com> wrote:

Quick summary:

There is an easy test to determine if a Linux or Unix system is vulnerable.
> To check your system, from a command line, type:

$ env x='() { :;}; echo vulnerable' bash -c "echo this is a test"