[TriLUG] How to prevent? "fsck died with exit status 4"

Jeremy Davis jeremyhwllc at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 11:14:01 EDT 2014

Hey folks, I've been having problems with AV Linux, which is Debian based
and has been tuned for low latency while recording music.

I have installed it on a couple different computers and every so often, the
system takes a crap and I have to reinstall. It seems to happen if the
computer is suddenly unplugged or the power goes out. It seems like I read
that this happens when logged in as super user and the system is shut down
with out time to close all the processes.

I get a black screen with "fsck died with exit status 4"

I have used Ubuntu based Linux Mint as my primary workstation, on various
computers for years, and I don't remember ever having this problem.

I am curious how others on the list cope with this issue, such as
strategies to prevent this from happening, minimize losses, quick recovery
etc... I am working with music recordings so it is critical not to lose my
work, which is stored in files on the hard drive.