[TriLUG] Upgrading an older Red Hat

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Wed Oct 1 12:25:21 EDT 2014

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 11:45:39 -0400, Mark Fowle <mfowle at adeliesystems.com>
wrote:

> Thanks - I'd love to retire the old box but the person that owns it wont
> let it go.  Guess I'm stuck.

Needs more careful analysis of the situation. The phrase "won't let it go"
suggests broken economics. I've been using old boxes for years, and just
bought a new 64-bit 4-core box to replace the ten-year-old thing I had
been using.
- quieter
- cooler
- doesn't need daily reboot
- sometimes faster

It's not that I don't like old equipment--I own two player pianos, several
horse carriages, and many horses. I can cut grass with a scythe. I also
use a mental PDP-8 to explain computers to those who ask, "So what
actually is going on inside?" But for actual computational iron, Moore's
Law usually applies.