[TriLUG] Thoughts on KVMs

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Oct 9 11:09:01 EDT 2014

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 09:51:09 -0400
Grawburg <grawburg at myglnc.com> wrote:

> At the small museum I work at I have two applications that  I need
> Windows for: Quickbooks and Skype. I'm begging for a new PC that I
> will load Debian 7 64-bit on (to match what I have at home). I could
> use Virtual Box for Quickbooks but have been unsuccessful at getting
> Skype to work in VB (won't recognize the Webcam). So I think getting
> a second PC and using a KVM switch is the best choice.  Thoughts on
> this?

I've used a 4 port KVM switch for years. It works. I'm pretty sure you
need real ps/2 mouse and keyboard, at least for mine. It's somewhat
slow to switch between machines, and with my monitor, it takes forever
and a day to resync. And of course, running two machines uses twice the
electricity.

But my SVGA/PS2 KVM switch has worked well for many years.

SteveT