[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations

Wes Garrison wes at xitechusa.com
Mon Oct 20 14:53:17 EDT 2014

My 2000 TDI Golf gets mid to high 40s around town, but "around town" for me
is from rural North Chatham County into Chapel Hill, so it's more like hwy
driving than true city driving.

The newer common rail TDIs are more powerful and have higher displacement
(2.0L vs. 1.9L), and the Diesel Particle Filter and Urea injection both
lower fuel economy a bit (the help a LOT with emissions, though).

Upshot: expect to get less than that from a new Golf or Jetta SportWagon.
I'd guess high 30s around town and high 40s/low 50s hwy.

But yes, they last forever.

-Wes

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
wrote:

> LOL, don't diss her too badly. In the old days, I sometimes hauled
> the lumber necessary to make a bookcase on the back of my bicycle.
>
> Yes, as a matter of fact it *was* rather awkward!
>
> SteveT
>
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:26:13 -0400 (EDT)
> William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:
>
> > And in a pinch, you'll do stupid things... like the lady I saw with a
> > BMW convertible with the top down and a book case hanging out over
> > the back
> >
> > William Sutton
> >
> > On Mon, 20 Oct 2014, Igor Partola wrote:
> >
> > > Ken,
> > >
> > > That means your need for a car other than your station wagon is
> > > 0.27%. That's pretty fantastic: you found a car that fits your
> > > needs 364 days out of the year. Even if you had to rent a truck for
> > > day #365, you'd still be ahead.
> > >
> > > Another thing I have been thinking about along these lines: once
> > > you have a tool you tend to use it. My wife and I used to share a
> > > 1995 Toyota Camry. This thing was great for hauling us around, but
> > > I couldn't do much in terms of home renovations. At one point we
> > > added a Scion xB (fantastic little car, though no AWD makes me
> > > sad), and all of a sudden I could easily transport 300 lb of tile,
> > > mortar, a toilet, etc. to redo bathrooms/kitchen. My point is that
> > > your current driving habits and usage are in part formed by the
> > > vehicle you drive. Get a pickup truck, you'll do pickup truck
> > > things. Get a Smart car, you'll do Smart car things.
> > >
> > > Igor
> > > --
> > > This message was sent to: William <william at trilug.org>
> > > options on the web  :