[TriLUG] Any help diagnosing an intermittent network issue?

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Sat Oct 25 23:14:41 EDT 2014

Another few things to check out:

- Is the RPi getting adequate and noise-free power? This in my experience
is the number one problem with RPi's: most power supplies don't give them
good clean power, so you get really random issues. As my electronics
professor liked to say, at some point all digital circuits are analog.

- Kevin is right: bad cables can do this.

- Do you connect the RPi directly to the laptop? Have you tried a switch
with nothing else on it but the laptop and the RPi?

- Are there any USB devices plugged into the RPi? Remember that the
Ethernet port on it is connected internally to the USB, so a bad,
misbehaving, or power hungry peripheral (hard drive, for example), could
cause issues.

- Are there any other devices on your network when this happens? Could they
think that they have one of the static IP's that the laptop or the RPi have?

- Try some simple things: different laptop, different RPi, USB ethernet
dongle on the laptop, same on the RPi.

Good luck.

Igor