[TriLUG] Curious

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Sun Oct 26 20:46:21 EDT 2014

What I meant was, that Ansible seems more basic, you can automate with anything, even bash scripts.  But I like Salt’s architecture.  I would suggest looking at the first couple Salt Air videos on youtube to get an idea of the architecture.  They’ve done some cool things like GitFS, which is a file system backend that uses a git repository.  So if you already have your code or configs or images, etc in Git, then you can use that repo as file store to push out to everything.  Keeps you have having to check out things and keep multiple copies. Also since it’ uses zeromq, you can trigger events bases on other events.  So It’s fast, it scales well, it’s asynchronous.  It gives you the foundation for automating things in a way that ansible can’t do in my opinion.  Ansible seems better if you just want configuration management on boxes.  Salt does that and allows you to have things happen based on events.  So you can build elastic scaleability easier. or automate based on conditions.  Plus salt can use ssh if you want client less action.  Also like Chef/puppet it’s getting support for other devices like switches to automatically add the right VLANS’s etc to the switch of the box you just deployed.  Like I said, I like it’s architecture. Like anything the time you spend learning it benefits you in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMrWF9d5Vbw&list=TLdxnJtjErEkkx9SWfn2N5t6PH9480FUW2

Matt P.