[TriLUG] Curious

magnus at yonderway.com magnus at yonderway.com
Mon Oct 27 13:46:59 EDT 2014

On 26.10.2014 15:53, Z-man wrote:
> So I saw the question about Puppet and just have to ask, how widely
> used is
> Puppet?  I am investigating it along with other librarian products to
> tie
> into Subversion for deployment and was wondering about its adoption.
> Also,
> if you use it, could you tell me what other products did you
> investigate
> before deciding upon Puppet?

Puppet is VERY widely used.

Subversion, not so much anymore.

While you can deploy with Puppet, that's not really what it's good at.
I like to think of Puppet as more of a convergent configuration
management system that works under an eventual consistency model.

For deployments, you really want an orchestration tool, IMO. In the
Puppet universe, that's most likely mcollective. Though I've used
capistrano and (more recently) ansible for orchestration and have been
well pleased.

You may be able to do it all with Ansible. Though I tend to reach for
Ansible more for bootstrapping new systems and orchestrating complex
deployments. I still live in a Puppet world when it comes to day to day
configuration management, though do yourself a favor and read up on the
Role::Profile model before you invest time into setting up your Puppet
infrastructure.

Puppet and Chef share a fairly similar mindspace. Puppet probably
appeals more generally to people with SysAdmin background, I think. Your
manifests mostly look like big configuration files. Chef tends to appeal
more to Ruby developers. I like to think of it as a Ruby framework for
infrastructure. Both of them are inspired, I think, by CFEngine (which
you may want to look at, though it doesn't have the mindshare of its
children).

Ansible is a locally made product, quite capable, with a very different
working model from Chef, Puppet, and CFEngine. It's perfectly OK to use
Ansible as an orchestration tool and Puppet as your configuration
management tool. Or use Ansible for both roles. I don't think Puppet
makes for good orchestration, though.

-M