[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations

Jimmy Dorff jdorff at phy.duke.edu
Thu Oct 30 09:36:50 EDT 2014

On 10/30/2014 08:54 AM, Bill Farrow wrote:
> For such a long thread, I am surprised that no one has even mentioned
> which OS these cars are running. For a Linux group, we should be
> discouraging non-Linux, proprietary systems. Which is pretty much
> anything that wants you to use "Bing" on the dashboard.
>
> Tesla cars use embedded Linux. What other car models use Linux, and
> better yet, which ones are Linux friendly and compatible ?

The only problem with my '13 Focus Electric is the Microsoft
infotainment system. Ford is switching to QNX, which isn't Linux but it
is "Unix-like".

Sadly, the Nissan Leaf is completely powered by Microsoft’s Windows
Embedded Automotive 7.

Of course, just using embedded Linux doesn't mean it will work. The
Cadillac User Experience (CUE) is Linux and is reportedly horrible.