[TriLUG] Replicating a filesystem across datacenters

tj bimasakti at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:02:24 EST 2014

As I understand based on using DRBD +heartbeat from my past works.

DRBD is a neat functionality for only in LAN(limited WAN scenario such as:
building 1 to building XYZ in the same campus or not far distance), since
we can set rule which machine will take control(automatically or manually)
when heartbeat is not detected or loss.

as Igor mentioned, latency is a killing bee for DRBD,

DRBD can be setup as UDP that assumes whom ever secondary DRDB always
accepting data from primary DRBD with one culprit: acting master always
assumes secondary always gets full update since DRBD on UDP does not give
100% sync updated data, which is not true when latency and lost data occurs.